Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Simien Girl Runners





(Debark; Dec 6-7th) We went to training at a leisurely 9am to the most beautiful spot that I've seen yet in Ethiopia. A large field stretched out, mountain views on all sides. All of the athletes were immediately welcoming. About 500 meters higher than Addis, I could feel the altitude.


Children sat around watching the runners on the dry, hard grass. Sitting quietly, observing, evolved into cuddling, arms around the neck of a neighbor, hands on a friend's thigh, which further evolves into wresting and karate chops, to begin all over again.


The athletes and spectators were very interested in my camera. The girl runners posed with broad smiles and dramatic poses, one pointing to the Ethiopian flag on her jacket with pride for every shot that she could secure. In contrast, the young boys made tough-man faces and did handstands, each one trying to top his friends to gain the attention of my lens.

We gave out the running shoes and shirts that Marco brought and the GGRF T-shirts and Runners World magazines that I brought for the runners. All of the athletes were thankful and excited to receive their loot. That evening, Marco hosted a dinner at or hotel for all seventy (I think) of the athletes! He put on a slide show of photos that he had taken over the last few days. With every photo that went up, there were giggles or hoots. Photographs are a rare thing in Ethiopia and the athletes were overjoyed to see themselves on the screen. I sat with a group of the girls and they tried to teach me more Amharic, interjected with demands of “be” (eat) and them insisting on feeding me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment